Care & Maintenance of Rattan Furniture
Rattan is an attractive, lightweight, and durable material used for furniture. It’s also an eco-friendly material. rattan furniture needs only basic cleaning and maintenance in order to preserve its natural strength and color.
Whether you choose to place your rattan furniture indoors or outdoors, following these steps will keep your rattan furniture clean and in good repair.
Steps to Clean the Rattan:
Fill a bowl with water:
- Add a few drops of dish detergent and stir to agitate until bubbles form on the surface. Dip a soft cloth into the bubbles only, not into the water. Wipe the rattan with the bubbles. The slight moisture cleans without over-wetting the rattan. Skim the foam from the surface with a soft cloth and wipe the surface of the furniture without getting wet wood.
- Use a toothbrush or other soft brush to clean in the cracks and edges. Repeat weekly for best results.
- To restore dry, cracked, or split rattan, apply boiled linseed oil with a brush. When the furniture won’t absorb any more oil, wipe it clean with a soft cloth. Allow it to dry or harden before using the rattan again.
For a thorough cleaning or to remove stains, apply detergent and scrub with slightly more water than you do for routine cleaning. As soon as you’re done, dry the rattan with a hot hair dryer or set it out in the sun. Once the rattan has dried completely, apply a coat of lacquer with a paintbrush to provide added protection if desired. Repeat annually.
Additional Tips and Advice
Although rattan may be used outdoors, it’s best not to leave it in the sun or otherwise exposed to the elements. The material will break down much more quickly under these circumstances.
- Place rubber stoppers under the legs of rattan. The cushion helps keep the material from cracking or splitting.
- Make sure to use boiled linseed oil. Raw linseed oil will not dry or harden. Boiled linseed oil is available at most hardware stores.
Monthly or weekly cleaning is the best way to protect your furniture from rattan and prevent further damage. Also, make a thorough cleaning twice a year. Complete cleaning will take care of the accumulation of dirt and prevent further damage.
If you want to buy rattan in Singapore, visits at unicane.com – Outdoor, Garden, Rattan & Wicker Furniture| Manufacturer and Retailer.